Orange is the largest Citrus Crop in the world, with different species. It is orange in color, with finely-textured skin, and with pulpy flesh which is either very thin or very thick, and is juicy and sweet.
Orange has a very high concentration of Vitamin C, contains Vitamin B1, Copper, Potassium, Calcium, Folate, Fiber, and Pantothenic Acid. An Orange is said to have more than 60 flavonoids, over 170 different phytonutrients, many of which have anti-tumour, anti-inflammatory, and blood clot inhibiting properties, and also strong antioxidant effects.
So then, the health benefits of Orange are as follows -
1. Phytochemicals which protect against cancer, are found in Orange. Thus Orange fights some cancers, namely, lung, breast, colon, stomach, skin, liver, etc.
2. When drank regularly, it prevents kidney diseases, plus it reduces the risk of kidney stones.
3. The soluble fiber in Orange helps in lowering cholesterol.
4. The potassium in Orange helps the heart function well.
5. Orange is very rich in Vitamin C which protects cells as it neutralizes free radicals responsible for chronic ailments in the body, e.g. cancer, etc.
6. The rich amount of polyphenols in Orange protects against viral infections.
7. The high supply of dietary fibre in Orange relieves constipation.
8. The high supply of carotenoid in Orange is converted to Vitamin A and helps prevent macular degeneration.
9. The magnesium in Orange helps to maintain blood pressure, while the flavonoid, hesperidin regulates high blood pressure.
10. Orange is rich in beta-carotene, a powerful antioxidant, which protects cells from damage. It also protects the skin from free radicals, and prevents aging.
11. Orange juice is acidic. However it contains many alkaline minerals that help balance out the body after it is digested, just like lemon, one of the most alkaline foods available.
12. It contains simple sugar like all fruits, although too much of it increases the sugar taken into the system. It has a glycemic index of 40, which is reasonable, as anything under 55, which will not spike your blood sugar, and cause problems with insulin or weight gain, is considered low. However, this is as long as you avoid eating many Oranges at a time, as earlier mentioned.
13. Eating higher amounts of ischaemic, a compound found in citrus fruits like Orange, Grapefruit, may lower the risk of stroke in women.
14. It helps brain development and so it is good for pregnant women, and babies. The phytonutrient called polyphenols found in Orange, plays a role in development of learning and memory functions of the brain.
15. The rich amount of Vitamin C and antioxidants in Orange and most fruits improves the quality of sperm, thus keeping men fertile.
16. Orange is good for diabetics.
17. It is very rich in Vitamin C, required to produce collagen, and this collagen helps keep the tissues in your hair together, and so prevents hair loss.
18. It has strong anti-inflammatory properties which helps to reduce the severity of asthma, arthritis, etc.
19. It prevents colds.
20. It prevents recurrent ear infection.
21. It has DNA protective benefits.
22. It helps reduce risk of death from so many diseases, as mentioned above, and also Alzheimer's disease, multiple sclerosis, cholera, gingivitis, cataracts, Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, etc.
23. It protects against overweight and obesity.
Some Orange crops are sprayed with insecticide. Therefore always wash your Orange in cold running water, or in a fruit and vegetable rinse, before use. However, organic Oranges are not sprayed with chemicals.
I repeat, please drink Orange moderately because firstly, although its sugar content is low, some oranges have a high glycemic load. And so taking plenty of it at a time, can increase your sugar intake. Secondly, it is acidic. And for these reasons, when you drink a lot at once, it can cause massive fluctuations in blood sugar levels, and thus complications for diabetic patients, it can upset the stomach, as well as wear away enamel.
Those who are susceptible to foodborne illness, please do not drink unpasteurized or freshly squeezed juice as they could contain harmful bacteria. Take only pasteurized juices. In addition, it is easy and better to make fresh Orange Juice at home, than taking commercial drinks that usually contain artificial coloring and preservatives.
Most of the phytonutrients in Orange is found in the peel and inner white pulp of the Orange, and not the liquid Orange. So when Orange is processed into juice, this beneficial compound is removed. Therefore in addition to drinking the juice, eat the inner peel and the flesh also, as they are all nutritious.
At this juncture, I wish to mention that apart from the health benefits you derive from Orange, your Orange, Lemon, Lime, and other citrus fruits peels, can be used also for your homes, as follows, and should therefore not be thrown away -
1. Orange and other citrus fruits peels can brighten up tired skin. Also they soak up oils and toxins when you apply directly to the skin, as well as add to a homemade facial mask.
2. Add a little bakin soda to Orange peels and place inside your shoes to eliminate shoe odors.
3. Use the white part of an Orange peel to rub off water stains from your furniture, and it will come clean. You can also use it to polish and shine wood furniture, bowls, utensils, etc., and they will come clean. Rob vigorously for best result.
4. When you boil Orange peels with water, a little lemon juice, and cinnamon, it will serve as homemade air freshener, and give your home an amazing smell.
5. When you throw Orange and other citrus peels in a compost pile, with some other kitchen scraps, you can use them as fertilizer.
6. Put some dried Orange peels inside your bag of sugar to absorb the moisture that makes it clump together.
7. Mix some Orange peels and a few cups of organic white vinegar in a jar. Leave it in the freezer for a week. You can use it when you bring it out to clean your house neatly without leaving toxic residues.
8. Use Orange peels and place where mosquitoes and moths pass into your residence, to drive them away.
So my Dear Readers, you can see the benefits of Orange and other citrus fruits. Fruits generally are beneficial to health. Take them as much as possible, and give your health a big boost.
Stay Healthy Always And Remain Blessed. Love You All.