Honey is the oldest sweetener on earth. It contains minerals, like calcium, iron, sodium chlorine, magnesium, phosphate, and potassium; vitamins, trace amino acids, enzymes, with anti-fungal, antibacterial and antioxidant properties.
There are over 300 types of honey, and they each have unique properties as well as distinctive tastes. They exist in different forms, some of which are as follows -
1. Orange Blossom
Raw unfiltered honey is better as it contains medicinal properties. Most honey available in the market contain additives like corn syrup, and are highly processed.
In making honey, bees usually swallow, digest, and regurgitate nectar, containing almost 600 compounds, and store them in honeycombs.
Benefits of Honey -
1. The flavonoids and antioxidants in honey reduce the risk of heart disease and some cancers. It has anti-metastatic properties to fight tumors and cancer.
2. According to the Director of Honey Research Unit at the University of Waikato in New Zealand, Peter Molan, honey is antibacterial. This is because bees usually add an enzyme that makes hydrogen peroxide. This is responsible for the amazingly long shelf-life of honey.
3. It reduces cough and irritation in the throat.
4. It prevents insomnia and helps you sleep soundly.
5. It contains simple sugar, which is not the same as artificial sweeteners and white sugar. Its combination of glucose and fructose helps regulate blood sugar levels in the body.
6. Many of the mysterious therapeutic properties found in honey, is as a result of the fact that some varieties of honey contain large amounts of bacteria said to be friendly, including 4 species of bifidobacteria and 6 species of lactobacilli.
7. Honey heals burns and wounds.
8. It relieves ulcers and gastro-intestinal disorders.
9. It enhances performance of athletes as it is an energy giver.
10. It improves eyesight, relieves diarrhea and nausea, helps with weight loss, cures impotence and premature ejaculation, urinary tract disorders, bronchial asthma.
11. When used with other herbal preparations, it enhances their medical qualities and also helps them reach deeper tissues.
12. It strengthens the immune system.
13. Unprocessed honey can be used to effectively treat skin infections such as eczema, acne, etc. and improves dandruff and itchy scalp.
(a) Either apply raw, unprocessed honey to affected areas, leave for about 30 minutes and rinse off with warm water, Or
(b) Add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder to 8 oz of hot water, allow it simmer for about 30 minutes and add 1 teaspoon of honey. Drink daily, about 30 minutes before breakfast.
Within a few weeks you will feel better.
14. In view of its anti-inflammatory properties it reduces allergy symptoms.
15. It helps postmenopausal women, and the aged to maintain sharp memory.
16. It can give relief to herpes patients.
17. It soothes heartburn and acid reflux.
18. It helps with digestion.
19. It makes hangovers go away.
20. It increases sex drive.
21. It helps solve sinus problems.
22. It solves problem of yeast infection, i.e. candida.
23. It solves problem of gum disease.
In view of its many health benefits, please use honey daily.
1. Some honey contain spores of clostridium botulinum. Therefore infants, and children one year old and below, who are fed with such honey, usually seriously react to them. Therefore, please play safe and avoid giving honey to children in this age group. However, honey does not pose any danger for older children and adults.
2. Honey should be consumed moderately as it is a sweetener with high caloric value.
One teaspoon of honey has nearly 4 grams of fructose. So when you consume honey and fruits, do not exceed 25 grams of total fructose per day, i.e. 4 teaspoons per day, plus fruits.
Stay Healthy Always And Remain Blessed. Love You All.